Monday, September 19, 2011

Functional MRI

I just barely got home from my Functional MRI. It was up at the University Research Park. I have a funny feeling I am going to get real used to that place. Basically a functional MRI is when they ask you to do or think specific things so they can more clearly understand exactly where the tumor is located. And by exactly I mean exactly. They want to have as much info before they go in as possible.

During the MRI I did things like think of as many words as I could that started with a specific letter then stop when they asked me to rest. I never spoke, the MRI machine only needs thoughts (interesting huh?) Then read a sentence and finish the last word (example: Put the dirty dishes in the ___________. ) The sentences cruised through and I just had to read them quickly then fill in the gaps with my thoughts. I also had to shut my eyes and let my mind wander for 10 minutes! That was brutal! And I had to squeeze my right hand on demand. I told the Dr. I wouldn't tell anyone (but no one reads this blog :) right?) during the MRI the screen that gave me the reading commands came crashing down, it was a lil scary. But I told him if he hurried up and worked through my functional scans that I wouldn't tell anyone ha ha.

So apparently the basic MRI scans are ready to be presented to The Huntsman Round Table Group, but the functional scans can take days to review and edit? So I tried to get the Dr. to finish ASAP because my mind might blow up not because of this tumor but because of waiting, I swear if it's one more week before Huntsman reviews it I might not be able to make it. He assured me he would do it as quickly as possible... ie the screen falling down! On a positive note they told me that I was one of the quickest functional MRI's to ever take place from the time of scheduling. Apparently it could take weeks to get in? He was extremely discreet about the info he could give me but did let me decide if I wanted to see the MRI. I got to see the tumor... which was in it's own way kinda cool? And so strange to think that I was looking at my own brain, it looked bigger then I expected and I asked him to measure how far in my brain it is. The rough measurement is 1.2 centimeters. Surprisingly far in, but he also did not want me using that as fact. So let's just say it's in there :)

Now we wait. I am so looking forward to having a surgery date and moving forward and on. I will face whatever I have to face, but waiting is killing me. Hopefully I will hear from my Dr. late Wednesday night or Thursday morning.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summer,
    Who are the Dr's you are working with up there? I have worked with a few in the past, and frequent that area as well. I'm praying they can get these MRI scans to the Huntsman Roundtable fast so they can get things going for you. You and your family are still in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sending you my best wishes Summer. The world needs more people with your positive attitude! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and you'll be on my prayers. I have a strong feeling that you will get the right treatment, and that you'll come out of it strong, and healthy. I send you a BIG HUG!

    Luis Zamudio

    ReplyDelete